Show shipping fee on product page and / or shipping module

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Show shipping fee on product page and / or shipping module

Postby loppan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 am

Hi, is there any way I can show the estimated shipping cost - either (or both) on the product page or in the standard cart module?

Since I'm using geoIP to determine currency and customer location it would be truly awesome to also show a shipping fee based in this info, just as it does on the cart page during checkout. I just discovered the new OPC tabs extension which is great - a new tab with shipping cost would be great :)

Thanks!

Best regards

Peter
loppan

Re: Show shipping fee on product page and / or shipping module

Postby admin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:14 am

hello peter, this is under our long term goal, but not yet fully done.

this is how we would imagine the feature:
- in OPC there would be a "shipping estimator" section as the very first part of the checkout with fields configured at the OPC shopper fields (for shippin estimator) such as country + zip
- the same set of fields would be shown at the product page's module to show the shipping estimator

for the default country (per geoIP) and default zip (per opc config) the shipping would load at the checkout (and at the modules) in ajax context so it would not slow down the page load.

generally it should not be that hard to do this, but we haven't yet had time to implement this.

the most complicated part is to handle the cart's address properly once there are inconsitencies betweek the customer's address and the estimator's address.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby Frans D » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Isn't there a possibility to just improve the shipping costs section of Virtuemart itself?

The problem now with this option is; that it doesn't use the weight of the product, it uses the total weight in the cart.
So basically it shows the shipping costs of the items which are in your basket on every product page.
I have myself multiple shipping options based on price; standard, signed for, insured.
The strangest thing is that the price of an item does trigger another shipping option.
So with a more expensive item, the VM shipping shows insured shipping with its price.
However the weight is always "zero" with an empty cart, so even if the product weighs 30 kg, it will use 0 kg as calculating method.
I have tested it with people abroad, and the correct shipping for their country is shown, although it is the lowest weight class shipping.

If the weight of the product is also used with the shipping calculation at the product page, it would be much better.
Frans D

Postby admin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 pm

well - that is the main problem, for OPC (or any other module) to be able to show the shipping rate per the particular item, all shipping methods would need to support such feature regarless of the cart content. since none of them including those core do not work this way, OPC would need to "simulate the cart" during the calculation of the shipping per the Item which is quite complicated especiall if there already is any content (and addresses) in the cart, since VM writes content of the cart directly to session and thus it's not really possible to use it for temporary usage.

it still can be done, but it's a matter of tens of hours of work to assure the integrity of the cart itself.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby loppan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Stan! Raising this question again :). This is, in my opinion, the only feature currently missing in OPC and it would be truly amazing if it became reality :).

Maybe there are more OPC users who would want this feature? Can we crowdfund Stan a couple of extra hours to work on this? :)

Best regads

Peter
loppan

Postby admin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

hello peter, i just released a version of opc that includes "shipping estimator" within opc checkout steps (for multi step template framework). in the next OPC release i would like to create a module that can display the rates at yoru product view or anywhere else.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby loppan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Wow, Stan, that sounds like a dream come true :). Keep up the good work! :)

Best wishes

Peter
loppan

Postby loppan » Fri May 18, 2018 7:01 pm

admin wrote:hello peter, i just released a version of opc that includes "shipping estimator" within opc checkout steps (for multi step template framework). in the next OPC release i would like to create a module that can display the rates at yoru product view or anywhere else.

best regards, stan

Hi again Stan :). Sorry if I'm nagging :D. I'm just very curious to know if any progress has been made yet? ;)

Thanks!

Best regards

Peter
loppan

Postby loppan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm

admin wrote:hello peter, i just released a version of opc that includes "shipping estimator" within opc checkout steps (for multi step template framework). in the next OPC release i would like to create a module that can display the rates at yoru product view or anywhere else.

best regards, stan

Hi again stan!

Just wondering if we're making any progress here :). It is a little tedious for the customer to only be able to see the shipping cost once the checkout process has started. And virtuemart's core features for this are sadly below all expectations ;).

As it sounded like you were close almost a year ago, I'm obviously curious what happened :).

Best regards

Peter
loppan

Postby admin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:01 pm

indeed yes, but it's not yet ready for product page.

i got:
- shipping estimator
- which can be shown in our opc's multistep checkout as first step

the shipping estimator has inputs (in opc shopper fields) which fields are required to get the rates (usually country itself is enough if you don't use fedex or ups)

then the estimator loads the shipping quotes per "simulated/current cart"

the problem at the product page is that creating "simulated cart" can alter the current cart (for example customer wants to see shipping rate of current cart + currently viewed product) so OPC would need to temporary inject this product into the cart so it can get proper rates. the underlying problem is session unstability that any ajax call in joomla always writes to session and this cannot be prevented even when i reported this as a bug to joomla (i.e. to allow read-only sessions).

if i'd implement it with current joomla's session handling, the "simulated cart" could ovewrite the real cart which can confuse the customer as he'd see all products in the cart that he'd visited (in reality only those that wrote the session with incorrect values... )

so until there is a support for "read only sessions" either via our own "custom session handler" or via core joomla, the solution cannot be done 100% realiably with current joomla/VM code base.

read only sessions means that regarless of sessoin change, it will never be stored within the request.

if i happen to create "read only session handler" it would support only "file sessions" (per php.ini) as this is the default way for our hosting clients and it's the only way joomla locks sessions properly (i.e. when accessed via 2 ajaxes at once)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x