Status is Pending > updates to Confirmed No GA recording

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Status is Pending > updates to Confirmed No GA recording

Postby guebelli » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi Stan,

I am running Joomla 3.9.26 with VM 3.8.8

In Tracking for GA:
Using Universal Analytics

Transaction ID format

{order_number}
Product ID format

{product_sku} (ID will be used if sku is empty)

Run at all page views

No

Run Ajax

No

Run in administrator section

Yes

Run just once per positive order status

Yes

Run at product view

No

Run at category view

No

Run at cart view
No

If an order is placed by a user but the payment does not get approved, it created an order number and goes into Pending status. It is not recorded by GA as a Sale.

Then, the user runs the saved cart again and payment goes through with a new Order number and Confirmed Status, but, GA does not record this sale either, even though a new order number was issued.

How do I need to configure the tracking to get GA to record a sale of an order that goes from Pending to Confirmed in this manner?

Thank you,

George Guebelli
guebelli

Re: Status is Pending > updates to Confirmed No GA recording

Postby admin » Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm

hello George, let me reply below:

Hi Stan,

I am running Joomla 3.9.26 with VM 3.8.8

In Tracking for GA:
Using Universal Analytics

Please switch to gtag (global site tag) as it's possible google won't support the older APIs much longer due to the way how modern browsers disallow cross site communciation and/or have default adblockers and privacy blockers.

Transaction ID format

{order_number}
Product ID format

{product_sku} (ID will be used if sku is empty)

make sure that your:
- GA tracking
- google merchant feeds
- your microdata/rdf data at product details

are all using same ID (usually just SKU, or product ID from VM, or prefixed/suffixed IDs by OPC or else )

Run at all page views

No

i suppose this one has to be enabled as this one makes sure the general JS code is included on all pages. when you enable this one, make sure your template or any 3rd party GA tracking solution doesn't include the general code. OPC will initialize the code per your GA and Adwords IDs as setup in OPC config.

Run Ajax

No

this one is used to check if order status was changed after the user landed on thank you page:
-- when your customer visits paypal
-- he then returns to your site and the order is in Pending
-- in a few seconds (to hours) paypal notifies your site with the new payment details (but customer is already on your site)
-- OPC will trigger Ajax call (with exponential timers)
-- to see if the order status had been changed since the customer landed on the thank you page
-- and if OPC detects that the status had changed, it will refresh the page to reload the GA code for tracking

so this one depending on your payment method and real-time availability of the payment status can get enabled.

Run in administrator section

Yes

when you update a customer's order to a configured status (per opc tracking config of the statuses) opc will send this order to GA (either as positive or negative depdnding on refund status). OPC uses "non interractive" swtich to send it to GA (GTM doesn't have non-interactive switch, btw)

Run just once per positive order status

Yes

once is enough - if multiple statuses are configured in OPC config and OPC detects multiple statuses in customer's order history, it can run the code more than once.

Run at product view

No

this is one useful for remarkerting or other per-produc analysis in GA - it renders OPC code at the product details.

Run at category view

No

this one sends a list of displayed products to GA per visited category, so you can track which products and categories are most visited in your shop. if there are too many products shown on the category page, google sometimes gives an error when too much data is sent to GA.

Run at cart view
No

this one tracks OPC's customer's actions per usage of shipping and payment methods, as well as different steps or errors depending on opc's config or template system (opc supports also multistep template).

If an order is placed by a user but the payment does not get approved, it created an order number and goes into Pending status. It is not recorded by GA as a Sale.

Then, the user runs the saved cart again and payment goes through with a new Order number and Confirmed Status, but, GA does not record this sale either, even though a new order number was issued.

How do I need to configure the tracking to get GA to record a sale of an order that goes from Pending to Confirmed in this manner?

In opc tracking section, make sure that you select "confirmed" status within Google Analytics configuration. OPC must be able to detect the order status change which normally happen in customer's context, but some payment methods use IPN in a non-customer context which might not be compatible with OPC and thus the GA code can get executed only at the next customer click after order status change.

this is what i'd suggest to make this work:
1. make sure to use modern API - i.e. gtag.js
2. enable "enhanced ecommerce" in GA + optionaly user ID tracking
3. disable all 3rd party GA loaders + remove the code from the template (usually /templates/{your template}/index.php )
4. enable OPC GA "for all pages"
5. configure OPC Ga to listen for "confirmed" status
6. test the order
7. do not use "ctrl+U" or "view source" as this won't work
8. to see if GA worked ok, see the data at GA, and/or use "elements" tab in g.chrome to check for the source code and see the "js console" for all opc tracking debug messages
9. make sure that g.chrome console + errors section does not give you any red lines (errors) otherwise no javascript tracking will work for you (including 404's which might load JS from your index.php as well)
10. make sure you don't block GA with your "privacy settings" in safari or similar browsers as this will also prevent the data to be sent (btw privacy is enabled by default in latest iPhones as far as i know, thus you won't know you have any visits from them at all)

Thank you,

George Guebelli

No problem, i hope this helps, best regards,
Stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x