UK and NI after Brexit

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

UK and NI after Brexit

Postby eliotrayner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi Stan

Will you be updating the MOSS plugin to correctly handle VAT between UK/NI and EU after 31 December 2020?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... tax-brexit

regards
Eliot
eliotrayner

Re: UK and NI after Brexit

Postby admin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm

hello Elliot,
our EU MOSS plugin is not intended to be used from outisde EU (i.e. from UK), same as it doesn't handle UK in special ways when the shop is based in EU.

for UK you don't need our plugin as you don't really pay VAT and if you do, you are under some special scheme for which the plugin might not work properly. In MOSS mode (i.e. not in product mode) it could be used to do the VAT calculation, but it's not really intended for this purpose.

fur non-UK vendor which ships to UK the plugin will consider UK same as any other country outside 'EU and it can only provide zero vat rate for this - i know there is a threashold when the VAT should be applied, but this is not yet subject of our plugin and a new plugin will need to be done for this case (same as for any other 3rd country which implemented it's own VAT rules which are not standard in EU and use threasholds or other customs rules )

for vendors selling to 3rd countries, it is usually up to the importer to handle the taxes since vendors cannot really know all those 160 tax systems all around the world. generally per WTO rules any b2c business should follow the importer's country rules handled by sending party (mainly VAT on imports), but this is vastly ignored (see FB, Google, etc.. 10 years ago)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x