Stripe and the "BraintTree method always opened" setting

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Stripe and the "BraintTree method always opened" setting

Postby loppan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi again!

I was really excited to find a "Stripe" payment method plugin in the latest release - I've been wanting to offer Stripe payments for quite some time.

However, I'm confused by the "BraintTree method always opened" setting.

I would definitely prefer if the credit card fields weren't visible until customer clicks on the Stripe payment method.

There is a setting that says "Hide Credit Card area until a click" - but it does nothing, at least not on my Sandwich theme (and a few other themes I've tried).

It's always visible, and I think it messes up the layout a bit.

Have I misunderstood the purpose of this setting? Or are there any tweaks that can be done? ;)

Best

Peter
loppan

Re: Stripe and the "BraintTree method always opened" setting

Postby admin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm

hello Peter, the current status of Stripe and Braintree is:
- Stripe - it's being used on 1 production site as is and it should work on any opc theme
- Braintree - i need feedback on this as at the moment it's used on "heavily modified OPC theme" and thus it may not work on "any opc theme"

the "always open" is a CSS/JS settings which shows your descriptions and CC details when you click the payment. (this is implemented only on some opc core themes), so always open only alters the CSS classes so that underlying theme can know if to hide it or not.

also when i was creating our own version of Stripe i've used some Braintree JS code but i haven't really tested them toghether. either way they both run on the very latest API versions and use the best techniques in security, but as they are early versions in OPC, i'll need feedback on if it works OK or needs futher tuning.

for both solutions CC inputs are rendered inside iframes which are provided by their APIs and no CC data is sent to your server anyhow (post/get/etc... )

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby loppan » Sun May 09, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi Stan!

Sorry about the confusion, in a very early version of your Stripe plugin the "always opened" setting was called "BrainTree method always opened", I have to admit I didn't even know what Braintree was at the time :D.

However, I still cannot disable "Always opened" even on the latest version (on sandwich theme, latest version), but that's OK, for now I'm fine with having it always visible!

Some new questions raised though ;) :

1. I can't figure out how to style the cc input form, I know it's an iframe and I suppose it can't inherit my custom css like my other forms. I did find the "display_payment_style.php" and I put it in my custom template folder (/public_html/components/com_onepage/themes/sandwitch_custom/overrides/payment/stripe_rupostel/) but none of the changes I make there seem to have any effect. Not sure what this means though :
Code: Select all
//make sure to define stripeStyle

Could you please advise how to change the basic style on the form? I'd like to change simple stuff like form height, font color, font size etc... :)

2. My base currency is SEK but it's a multi-currency setup. When I do test orders (sandbox mode) all orders placed through Stripe (card payments) in SEK work fine, but in any other currency the order is immediately cancelled in VM - Stripe receives the money though (and converts it to SEK). When I view I canceled order I can see the following error message (comment) in the order history :

Order total not same - 281.00 vs 27.57

(The order value is 281 SEK but the customer checked out in EUR)

Seems fine on Stripe's end though, so I'm not sure why VM don't want want to confirm the order?

3. As far as I can tell, Klarna is not supported by VM anymore, sadly. I think Klarna dropped support for their older API, and in recent versions of VM they don't even include the plugin anymore. There are other plugins available but they're all for Klarna Checkout, I'm after the more basic "Klarna Payments" method, quite desperate for it to be honest :D.

It seems like Stripe supports Klarna, though.

Are there any plans to add support for Klarna in your stripe plugin? Preferably also SEPA Direct Debit payments.

4. I can't get Google Pay to work, not sure how to even troubleshoot, the icon appears when I visit my store from my android phone, I tap it and it all looks promising, when I tap "Continue" within Google Pay on my phone it keeps loading for a while, and then I'm returned back to the cart without any error message, no order is registered in VM and I can't find any traces within Stripe. Any ideas what's going on here? Not really sure how to troubleshoot this :/.

Thank you Stan for all your amazing work! Cheers

Peter
loppan

Postby admin » Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 am

hello peter,
stripe plugin was done per specific needs of an UK and MX customer and to make it fully work with:
- google pay
- klarna
- multi currency

i'd suggest that i work on this on your site (ideally a staging site) since my other customers didn't really have full google pay (and ideally apple pay) enabled and they also didn't use klarna at all.

my customers using klarna are using it via MSP (multi safe pay) which works nicely with OPC, but doesn't support the invoice/part payments as far as know - but this might be fully handled by the MSP itself.

let me know if you are interested in custom development in this subject to tune it per your needs.

both stripe and braintree are using iframes to render the inputs - i.e. the rendering doesn't happen on your site, but via widgets that are handled by the payment provider. to style them at your site you might need to adjust a passes javascript variables like this for example - https://github.com/braintree/braintree- ... issues/437 - this can be done from within templates overrides of braintree if needed.

main reason for creating our own stripe plugin is:
- to make it 100% compatible with our javascript workflow and one or multistep checkout of OPC
- to make it secure the way which doesn't requite Pci compliance (simplified questionaire by stripe/braintree is enough - datacenter or site doesn't need a full PCI complience - i.e. no CC data are passed through POST of your server)
- adjusting 3rd party stripe solutions to meet basic security and compatiblity with OPC was much more complicated compared to writing our own plugin that meets the latest security standards and features (3D secure v.2 and similar)

for Stripe i saw also "VP Stripe payment plugin" running on our OPC which seemed to work OK (i.e. catching JS submit events properly and adjusting per generic JS driven checkout). i did not check if their plugin uses latest APIs, but i saw it works OK in case you wanted to see if they support g.pay or klarna (i saw it using just a CC form)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby loppan » Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi Stan, thanks for your very detailed reply :).

I will send you an e-mail regarding custom development in the following days :).

Thanks! Have a nice day

Peter
loppan

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x