Adwords Tracking

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Adwords Tracking

Postby technical@.....com » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 am

I'm trying to set up adwords conversion tracking and my test transaction isn't showing. I searched the forum and came across this thread : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=934&p=3187, but it refers to an older version and the images are missing.

Do you have an up to date document of this process?
technical@.....com

Re: Adwords Tracking

Postby admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:33 am

hello, GTM+GA and Adwors is being updated in almost every opc release due to new specifications added by google and various requirements from our customers.

to get the most up to date version of adwords tracking i strongly suggest to:
- in opc tracking use Google Analytics (and disable all other google plugins there )
- in opc's GA config enter your IDs for both GA and Adwords (it's on the same page)
- make sure to enable the trigger to run per your order status - you may enable it for all order statuses to check it out
- the latest adwords in opc is supported when you enable "use global site tag (gtag.js) "
- enable to it to run "on all pages" (this will insert starndard adwords+ga code to all html pages) + make sure you remove old GA codes (from your template/template config/3rd party plugins)

optionally you can also enable tracking:
- product + category + cart views and data

BUT if you are not using "file sessions" there are some ajax call being done at the site to load addtional data for products that are sent to GA and with "database sessions" which are default in joomla you may experience "empty cart" after clicking addtocart when there are too many ajax calls (with our or 3rd party extensions) ---> this issue is caused by improper session locking on all joomla versions and the only proper session locking is "joomla session handler = none + file based php.ini configured sessions"

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby technical@.....com » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:10 am

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the quick response. I think I've done everything you've specified here, although I think my version is a little old. I'll try to get it updated asap but I'm right in the middle of another piece of work at the moment.

I can see the sale in adwords but it doesn't appear under conversions. Is that expected behaviour?
technical@.....com

Postby technical@.....com » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 am

admin wrote:BUT if you are not using "file sessions"

do you mean here?
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
technical@.....com

Postby admin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm

hello, the new adwords is tracked via opc's google analytics interface OR via google tag manager. i believe the old adwords code does not work any longer and we'll remove it from opc.

so to enable adwords tracking in opc you can either go with GTM (which is very complicated) or with GA tracking where you can insert your adwords IDs+Label ID directly.

let me know at email and i can send you printscreens of what and where to set up.

generally if you decide to go with GTM i suggest that an agency set this up for you as it's very complicated to get all the triggerers and events done properly at GTM configuration. OPC sends as many events as possible.

furtheremore if you are using "database sessions" as you showed above, some of the opc's ajax calls to get additional product data can cause session issues with the cart. we've got code which preloads them within the product templates but this is very customer specific.

let us know if you got the adwords working ok and if an agency had reviewed your set up.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x