Unticking the Acymailing Newsletter Checkbox

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Unticking the Acymailing Newsletter Checkbox

Postby info@.....uk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello - I am working on a site https://baby-bouquets.co.uk/shopping-basket that has "Please send me news & exclusive offers" ticked on.
Due to the GDPR this should be not ticked on, but I can't find where to do this.

In the language string it's "COM_ONEPAGE_NEWSLETTER_SUBSCRIPTION" and it is the checkbox for AcyMailing subscription by the T&Cs at the bottom near the "Place Order" button.
I've looked in the Acy plugin, the VM customer fields & OPC config
Can you let me know how to do this,

Thanks
info@.....uk

Re: Unticking the Acymailing Newsletter Checkbox

Postby admin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 am

hello, this checkbox can work in 2 modes:
- with acymailing installed
- with our mailchimp plugin installed

default status (checked vs not checked) depends on:
- at the registration tab in OPC there is Acymailing default status (checked/not checked)
- it depends on session value if the checkbox was checked at prior cart visit by the user
- when used with our mailchimp plugin, the checkbox is checked when user is registered with list in mailchimp and when he uncheck it, he gets unsubscribed automatically

i am not aware of GDPR requiring "default status" of newsletter checkbox, it mostly talks about cookies, which sadly are enabled by default in Joomla (since they provide user-session without which it would not be possible to store content of the cart per user, or log him in). GDPR states that it has to be same easy to get unsubscribed/un-agreed as it was to get subscribed/agreed with TOS, personal data handling, cookies, newsletter or else.

do you have any other information about GDPR in this subject?

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby info@.....uk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

People do have to 'opt in', not 'opt out' on signing up for things, see the infogram, number 6 on
https://medium.com/@equalscreative/11-s ... d1b80b321e.

I've also started changing people's newsletters so it's double opt-in after an email is sent as well, just to be on the safe side.
S :)
info@.....uk

Postby admin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm

hello, the status of the newsletter checkbox depends on:
- opc configuration's registration tab - newsletter default status
- previous registration (if used with mailchimp it checks if the user is already part of the list)
- session -> if the user had clicked it withint he same session (or if it was clicked by default by any of the above)

unticking it when it's signed with "opc mailchimp" automatically removes the user from the mailing list.

when used with "acymailing" - i suggest to ask them about what happens if user unticks it... i believe they don't remove the user from the list then. (opc only displays the checkbox so that acymailing can parse it and register it there)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x