Gift Products

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Gift Products

Postby gestion@.....com » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi Stan

I find really interesting these feature to make promotions in websites but faced a few doubts.

You say we have to create the product with 0 price and assign it to a hidden category or no category, the problem is that this way the product will show in "latest products" or in the shop menu item if you display all products.

I mean, the product has to be published?

I just want to make sure the gift product is not accesible for the users in any other place than checkout cause as you know latest versions of VM have option to show recently created products and even all products in the shop at the category menu item.

Regards
gestion@.....com

Re: Gift Products

Postby admin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:01 pm

hello manu, i believe it should be possible at worse by changing the DB column of "created" of the product that you create so it's not displayed within your latest products.

to create it as hidden, without breaking VM functionality you can create 2 categories:
- TOP (other products) --> UNPUBLISHED
- GIFT PRODUCTS (AS A CHILD OF THE TOP, must be published)

and associate the product with the "GIFT PRODUCTS" category

if you shop does not allow zero prices you can use 0.00001 depending on your config.

other usage of this feature are:
- gift products (choose one gift upon a selection)
- gift products (choose multiple gifts upon a selection)
- charity products (donate a fixed amount upon the click)
- charity products (donate an updated amount per the Quantity Update form in the cart)

further config:
- display the section only above X of order total (without tax)
- display as cart line ( with our without quantity control) OR display as total line (requires dynamic lines enabled in Taxes & Prices tab)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 pm

styling:

when "opc theme positions" are installed (OPC Extensions) you can choose any OPC position within your module configuration (all are prefixed with opc_ ) and thus you can also display an article in a module associated to an OPC position in the template itself.

each section as defined in onepage.unlogged (and logged+registration+min+empty_cart).tpl.php is always wrapped with a module position of (above and under) and thus you can alsways inject any modules here as needed.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby gestion@.....com » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Stan

We use it with position "checkoutadvertises" which suits well in 3 column blue and with over 50 € of subtotal as a dropdown cause we can change the translation key and is great.

The feature works fine but the problem is the "hidden category" setup i'd say in VM itself.

I tested what you suggested:

I created a top category:

"Other products" (unpublished)

And a subcategory:

"Gift products" (published) inside "Other products"

I created a gift product assigned to category Gift product and published the product

The problems are 2:

1- Subcategory "Gift products" shows in the category module and category view menu item and most importantly:
2- Gift product is visible in the frontend and can be ordered for free, it appears first in "latest products".

The only way I managed to create the product without showing it at the shop is to not assign it to a category but the product can still be reached per url.

Also without category the product may no apply tax at all but I believe this is less important in a free product.

Overall I think VM core needs a more secure system for this hidden products cause assigning no category still makes the product reachable for customers per url,
gestion@.....com

Postby gestion@.....com » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:23 pm

I posted these doubt at VM forum and the gave me a hint about using hidden shopper group for this type of gift products and other suggestions I did not completely understand https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=136663.0
gestion@.....com

Postby admin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm

hello, shopper groups is not the right way here since you do not want to hide them completely, but just partially...

invalid product per shoppper group could give you various other problems elsewhere and the shopper groups are quite "unstable" feature of virtuemart since they are prone to the same problems as the language issues on 3.0.18+ (user's and system shopper groups are loaded quite late and the order of calculation and shopper group plugins is quite tricky... ). Shopper groups are OK as far as you run almost no 3rd party plugins and you use them purely for logged in users.

to hide a product generally assign it to an UNPUBLISHED category directly.

in OPC i can add "a check" for product's categories and if all of them are unpublished there will be no LINK from the cart. (indeed this would make sense in whole VM... )

elsewhere it always depends on the logic of that particular part of the system... (i.e. minicart, templates - maybe a simple check needs to be added so they are not displayed as LINKs... )

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby gestion@.....com » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Stan

Is not as easy at it may seem.

If you assign a product to a hidden category once you publish the product it could appear in "Latest products" in the main shop page.

Just tested and it appears there although the category is unpublished since the product is published it appears there and can be added to the cart for free by customers.

VM needs a setting in products to mark them as hidden but active products for security reasons or some kind of check as you mention so these is a VM missing check i'd say.
gestion@.....com

Postby admin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 pm

hello, ok, maybe i should check if this would work if the product is unpublished:

- i.e. opc would still allow checkout for this special case...
- but VM should not display it anywhere...

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm

ok, yes, it's not that simple, but i found the solution without any modifications needed and this works on VM3.0.19.7

create a new shopper group
+ associate the shopper group to the product in the main product info config (not the price, but upper config)
+ test if this works OK for anonymous users + logged in users

this will hide it fromt he minicart + category views, but not from the "add to cart" and the checkout handler

i did these tests and all were OK:
- i used a free product "i wanna a gift" to which i associated the "wholesale" shopper group
- the product is not visible at FE
- but in the OPC you still can use it as checkbox product and it gets stored in the order
-- i tested anonymous
-- a logged in user with default/none shopper group
-- a logged in user with a custom shopper group

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby kovacshazi@.....com » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:07 am

Hi Stan,

I have the next problem:
I have a gift product that can be selected above 50,000 HUF
I will added into the basket 2 products and my cart value allow the 50.000 HUF limit
I choose the gift product
So far everything is fine
Then I delete a product from the basket and the value of the basket is below 50.000 HUF, then the gift remains inside the basket.
What can be done to remove the gift from the basket?
kovacshazi@.....com

Next

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x