Customer note max characters and description

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

Customer note max characters and description

Postby gestion@.....com » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Stan

In VM/configuration/shopper fields

The field for "customer note" which I believe is the one rendered by OPC has a "character limit". We tried changing it but doesnt seem to have effect in OPC.

There is also a description for the field which doesnt seem to render in OPC.

We are using the 3 column blue.

Regards
gestion@.....com

Re: Customer note max characters and description

Postby admin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:41 pm

hello, i checked this on vm3.0.10 and latest opc, but i do not see any limit there.

within VM's configuration, shopper fields there is a max character length. by default it's 2500 characters (varchar(2500) which is only cca 2500/3 = 833 utf8 characters), i changed it to 25000 on my demo and VM updated the customer_note in #__virtuemart_userfields.customer_note to mediumtext type.

i would need to check your site for the limit:
- does it allow to enter "infinite" number of characters ? (if yes, then opc renders it properly)
- does it cut this text to an X amount (this is most probably done by the DB column specification and should get updated when the field config changes, if not i'd suggest to update it via phpmyadmin)
- does it break checkout (i.e. redirects to the front page) -> if yes, then one of the security extensions OR php.ini 's config post_max_size should get adjusted. I'd generally suggest 32M which is what the moder computers can easily handle.

to see about the last limit, see this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6135 ... -post-size

phpmyadmin code to update the length limit in case your VM version does not do it properly:
Code: Select all
ALTER TABLE  `#__virtuemart_order_userinfos` CHANGE  `customer_note`  `customer_note` TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci NULL DEFAULT NULL

(replace the #__ with your own prefix)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x