When missing input, Error 99: Element: plgVmpayment

If you are runnig Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3.x please post to this forum your questions or support tickets about One Page Checkout

When missing input, Error 99: Element: plgVmpayment

Postby support@.....com » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Stan,

I found an error in the usage of OnePage Checkout with Authorize.net payment plugin.

When there is an error or an empty value in the payment input (Invalid Credit card number, CVV, or date), the error are returned on the message area, that's normal. Then, on the same area, there is another error, that happened only with OPC:

Error 99: Element: plgVmpaymentAuthorizenet

Without OPC, the same errors are returned, but of course not the Error 99.

I've tested Joomla 3.3.6, template protostar, OPC default settings
- with VM 3.0.4 + OPC v2.0.291
- with VM 3.0.9.6 + OPC v2.0.295

Do you have any idea to look at?

Kind regards,
Hervé
support@.....com

Re: When missing input, Error 99: Element: plgVmpayment

Postby admin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 pm

hello herver, the error comes from the plugin when it does not validate it's own input.

the question is :
- should i supress the OPC's error addition "Error 99: Element: .... " only if OPC debug is enabled (?) and display just the error returned by the payment itself?

the main reason i added it there is to identify various problems with the payment/shipping systems so we know where it comes from. Each error number can be found within opc's cart handler file (/components/com_onepage/overrides/vmplugin.php and cart_override.php and cartcontroller.php)

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby support@.....com » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Hello Stan,

Thank you for your reply!

I think, on the average/advanced user point of view, I would prefer to have this error 99 (or any other), in debug mode, either on the screen, and/or the log file.

The reasoning behind is:
- it does not annoys the end user and the merchant
- it does not annoy the developer/website builder, that can still access the logs, even for a short while on a LIVE website, to troubleshoot and fix problems.

But, even if I would like that plugins are error free, reality is different, so at least you provide an elegant way to handle it 8-)
What do you think?

Kind regards,
Hervé
support@.....com

Postby admin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:58 pm

hello herve, ok, i will add a checkbox to show/suppress the "error code" from OPC.

the main purpose was:
- customer calls the shop owner that he cannot checkout... he sees some text error, but the shop owner has no clue what it means... (for some payment plugins it just says: Invalid data)
- if there is a number within the error, regarless of the used payment method's plugin the error usually means the same

in the case of error 99, the problem is caused by invalid cart or CSV number. The payment method itself did not validate the input... (i.e. test card used on a productsion site or similar... )

the same from the shop owner towards my support (could be solved with the Debug checkbox probably):
- shop owner says "payment does not work"
- but he does not see or gets any error message
- the error code may say :
-- which plugin / at which event failed... including the error message if available...
-- sometimes a Joomla-enabled plugin which is not even configured in VM can cause checkout problems...
-- this feature would tell which plugin does that trouble

to make this even worse, there are Joomla/VM themes which completely suppress any Joomla queue messages... and thus the user gets redirected back to the cart with absolutely no error message. My latest approach for this problem is to include the error code within the URL in case it's missing within the Joomla page.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby support@.....com » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello Stan,

I completely understand your point. I would suggest to add the checkbox and the writing to debug log file in an "advanced section", targeted for developers and people who really know what they are doing. Also leave by default your current settings so that you/ your client can still have the error message that is helpful.

But ultimately, you know and decide what to do best for your users/clients, I am only one of them, and I can be wrong ;-)

Thank you for your time and your great product!
Kind regards,
Hervé
support@.....com

Postby admin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm

hello herve, i've updated opc code to show these error numbers only if it's enabled in opc config at the debug section. i am sending you an email with our latest update before i release it.

best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Postby support@.....com » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:53 am

Hello Stan,

Thank you for your email. I've tested the DEV version you sent me, and it is working as expected!

Both with and without the error99 on the screen, that's great!

Thank you very much for this addition to your excellent plugin!

Best regards,
Hervé
support@.....com

Postby support@.....com » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:55 am

Should I change the title of the thread to something like [SOLVED] or [FIXED] ?
:)
support@.....com

Postby admin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:42 pm

hello, it's okay, once i see that my reply is the last one, i know it's solved : )

have a nice day, best regards, stan
admin
Site Admin

Return to One Page Checkout for Virtuemart 3 on Joomla 3.x